Solar vapor evaporation
Membrane-based reverse osmosis
Water harvester design
Water transport in porous media
Bubble dynamics on gas evolving electrodes
Dual-stage scalable water harvester
Ultrahigh-efficiency solar desalination via multistage thermal localization
Passive vapor generation systems with interfacial solar heat localization enable high-efficiency low-cost desalination. Recent progress combining interfacial solar heating and vaporization enthalpy recycling through a capillary-fed multistage architecture, known as the thermally localized multistage solar still (TMSS), significantly improves the performance of passive solar desalination. Yet, state-of-the-art experimental demonstrations of solar-to-vapor conversion efficiency are still limited since the dominant factors and the general design principle for TMSS were not well-understood. In this work, we show optimizing the overall heat and mass transport in a multistage configuration plays a key role for further improving the performance. This understanding also increases the flexibility of material choices for the TMSS design. Using a low-cost and free-of-salt accumulation TMSS architecture, we experimentally demonstrated a record-high solar-to-vapor conversion efficiency of 385% with a production rate of 5.78 L m-2h-2 under one-sun illumination, where more than 75% of the total production was collected through condensation. This work not only significantly improves the performance of existing passive solar desalination technologies for portable and affordable drinking
- Z. Xu, L. Zhang, L. Zhao, B. Li, B. Bhatia, C. Wang, K.L. Wilke, Y. Song, O. Labban, J.H. Lienhard, R. Wang, E.N. Wang, “Ultrahigh-efficiency desalination via a thermally-localized multistage solar still,” Energy & Environmental Science, 13, 830, 2020.
- L. Zhang, Z. Xu, B. Bhatia, B. Li, L. Zhao, E.N. Wang, “Modeling and performance analysis of high-efficiency thermally-localized multistage solar stills,” Applied Energy, 266, 114864, 2020.
- A. LaPotin, Y. Zhong, L. Zhang, L. Zhao, A. Leroy, H. Kim, S. Rao, E.N. Wang, “Dual-stage atmospheric water harvesting device for scalable solar-driven water production,” Joule, 4, 1, 2020.
- A. LaPotin, H. Kim, S. R. Rao, E. N. Wang, “Adsorption-based atmospheric water harvesting: impact of material and component properties on system-level performance,” Accounts of Chemical Research, 52, 6, 2019.
- H. Kim, S.R. Rao, E.A. Kapustin, L. Zhao, S. Yang, O.M. Yaghi, E.N. Wang, “Adsorption-based atmospheric water harvesting device for arid climates,” Nature Communications, 9, 1191 2018.
- H. Kim, S. Yang, S.R. Rao, S. Narayanan, E.A. Kapustin, H. Furukawa, A.S. Umans, O.M. Yaghi, E.N. Wang, “Water harvesting from air with metal organic frameworks powered by natural sunlight,” Science, 356, 6336, 2017.